The mission of CABS is to:
- Advance public engagement with science by increasing accessibility and participation in life science research.
- Encourage experimentation with biology and technological innovation by creating a safe laboratory environment focused on scientific inquiry and learning.
- Promote, transparent and environmentally responsible research and engineering practices, and ethical use of biotechnology through public education.
- Build a community of practice that promotes awareness of the relevance of biological research to the public by creating, adapting and disseminating best practices.
CABS is an incorporated non-profit in the District of Columbia and is a qualified exempt organization under 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code. The current officers for CABS are:
- President: Elizabeth Tuck
- Treasurer: Richard Conroy
- Executive Secretary: Tom Heiman